Wednesday, August 26, 2015

How I keep my sanity during Rocket Math.... (and less paper!)


Hi everyone!  I recently did a Periscope (....my third ever!) on how I implement Rocket Math in my classroom.  Side note- If you do not know what Rocket Math is, let me quickly brief you.  It is a series of leveled time 1-minute math fact fluency practice that we do daily.  In second, we start on level A and hope to be able to get to level Z of only addition.  After addition is subtraction, then multiplication (for your higher learners in 2nd), and division.  So, it lends itself to anywhere from 1st-5th grade to reinforce that quick mental math fact fluency.



Anyway....if you use Rocket Math (or another type of math fact fluency daily practice) I urge you to watch the video below.  I found that by assembling my Rocket Math packets (A-Z addition) into a page protector and putting them in a 3-prong poly folder, I could save on copies.  To practice, we use our dry-erase markers.  If they met their goal, I immediately check those folders (as those who did not, erase their sheet and put it away).  IF they met their goal and they got ALL their problems correct, then waiting behind the level they did (for example: A), then I pull that level out and underneath it is the next level (example: B).  Now they erase their sheet protector and they are ready for tomorrow's practice.  No extra copying or sorting.  Just take those papers of finished levels and file them back into you Rocket Math file, ready for next year.

So what do I let my students do while I check the people who have met their goal?  I use this time for them to do a movement and music activity (such as a Harry Kindergarten math song...check him out on YouTube) OR a Go Noodle video. 
Video of my Tip from Periscope: https://vimeo.com/137447195



Please let me know if you have any questions about how I incorporate this!  If you have any more suggestions on how you measure math fact fluency or how you  implement Rocket Math, please leave me a comment! :)

Happy Wednesday!  Half way to the weekend :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gracious!!! This is so clever and I LOVE IT! I have been trying to come up with ways to cut my paper usage in the class and rocket math is definitely one of my big problems. This is fantastic, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete